Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In
Search Policy Site
Pacific Logo

Skip Navigation LinksFrequently Asked Questions

How are policies developed and adopted at University of the Pacific?
Policies are proposed, reviewed, refined and adopted through the combined efforts of the Board of Regents, the president and her delegates, the Academic Council, staff advisory committees, and other university committees as relevant to the particular policy. Appointed ad-hoc working groups and committees may also support these efforts.

At the instruction of the Board of Regents, a cross-divisional team will be working in the coming months on a "Policy on Policies" that will refine and document these processes. 

How are policies reviewed and updated?
There is currently no defined process for the review and updating of existing policies. A goal of the current effort is to establish regular periods for review and updating of existing policies, so that the university's policies and practices remain timely, vital and aligned with the university's mission.

What is a Board Policy, and how is it different from other policies?
The Board of Regents maintains ultimate authority over the university as set forth in its bylaws and under California law.  The board delegates responsibility for the development and implementation of policies in many areas to other key stakeholders, including university officers, administration and faculty.  However, in other areas, the board adopts its own policy that guides the work of the university, or the board may choose to be the final approving body on a policy developed by the other entities in the university.  These board-developed or board-approved policies are posted on the website and provide direction to the work of the university, and can only be modified by the board.

I can't find a policy on a particular issue. Should I assume there is no policy?
We are continuing to gather and post policies. If you have a question that can't be answered by searching this site, please check with your supervisor for guidance.

As an employee, am I responsible for knowing about and adhering to policies that aren't posted here?
Policies that haven't yet been posted on this site remain in full effect. It is the responsibility of supervisors to help staff understand relevant policies and procedures. It is your responsibility to seek guidance from your supervisor if you are unsure about policy or procedures related to your work.

Where can I find information about policy relating to faculty or student affairs?
At this time, policies that apply exclusively to faculty will continue to reside in the Faculty Handbook. The website contains numerous policies that relate to students, in addition to those student policies that are contained in the Tiger Lore Student Handbook.

Where can students go if they have questions about a policy?
The Division of Student Life is a good source of information for students. Consult the A-Z Directory (a link is at the top of every Pacific web page) for the relevant office. Division offices include Housing and Greek Life, Dining Services, Educational Equity Programs, Multicultural Affairs and the Women's Center, Crisis/Bias Response, Technology, Title IX, ASuop, Pacific Recreation Services, New Student & Family Programs, Student Conduct and Community Standards, Services for Students with Disabilities, and more.

What should I do if I believe a policy is out of date or conflicts with another policy?
Please talk to your supervisor.

What is the difference between a policy and a procedure?
In general, a policy sets forth broad statements related to major operational issues that have widespread application throughout the University. A policy usually talks about "what" and "why," although some contain process elements that must be followed.  Procedures are narrower and more detailed. They are designed to guide execution of policies. Procedures typically talk about "how," "when" and "who."  In some instances, there may also be standards for how a policy is implemented.  Procedures or standards may change more frequently than the underlying policy.

Where do I find procedures relevant to my role at the university?
University of the Pacific does not have a central repository of procedures and standards. Each Cabinet member is responsible for developing, disseminating and maintaining procedures within his or her area. If you are looking for a procedure that is relevant to your work as an employee, turn to your supervisor for guidance.  If you are looking for a procedure that relates to your personal status as a student or an employee, seek information from the office associated with the topic you are exploring. For example, the Controller's Office regarding financial matters, Human Resources for employment needs, etc.  For some policies, related procedures and forms are posted along with the policy.

If I have an idea for a policy, how can I get it approved?
Employees are encouraged to propose ideas for policies directly to their supervisors.

Can I make suggestions to improve a policy?
Absolutely. Feedback about policies may be sent to​. Typographical or other simple errors will be corrected right away. Suggested changes of a more substantive nature will be introduced to the responsible executive and considered for revision.

If I don't feel policy is being followed by a coworker/my department/a department that serves me, what should I do?
Communicate your concerns to your supervisor or to the appropriate department head. Some policies contain their own grievance procedures, which are another avenue you may want to follow. In addition, the student, staff and faculty handbooks each contain general grievance procedures.

Where do I send questions or comments about this website?
Send questions, comments or suggestions for improvement of this website to

How can I get a copy of a policy?
The policies that are made available through this website can be viewed and printed from the website.